You may not realize it but there are very few electrical jobs that you can perform yourself at home. Thanks to the regulations, you will need to contact a reputable Sydney electrician and get the work done for you.
This can be off-putting. But, in most cases, you’ll find that the cost is far less than you think and your electrical system will be certified as safe.
To help you decide when to call an electrician, other than for your annual inspection, it is worth knowing the 3 most common signs that you need an electrical bellmere repair.
- Constantly Tripping Breakers
Your electrical breakers are designed to trip whenever there is a fault in the line. This means that the voltage has increased or dropped too much, or perhaps there has been a short circuit in the wires.
In reality, the breaker rarely trips. But, it is acceptable for it to trip occasionally. However, it is constantly tripping, then you have an electrical issue and you’re going to need expert help to resolve it.
It may be a fault with a specific appliance, it could be an overloaded circuit, bad wiring, or even an issue with the breaker itself. The exact cause will need to be identified and dealt with to ensure your electrical circuits are safe and you’re not at risk of getting a nasty shock or experiencing a fire.
- Buzzing Or Fizzing Noises
Another clear indication that you have an electrical issue is when you can hear the electrics buzzing, humming, or even fizzing. It is most commonly heard when you turn a switch on or off or plug something in.
The sound generally indicates the power is not being properly contained within its wiring, making a short circuit or electric shock highly likely.
It’s best to get an expert to test and check the circuits, it could simply be a loose wire in the switch, but it could also be a lot more serious.
- Flickering Lights
When your lightbulb is reaching the end of its life it may flicker a little. This is normal and not a sign of an electrical issue.
However, if you replace the bulb and it still happens or it is happening to multiple bulbs, you have an issue with your electrical circuit.
It is advisable to shut the lighting circuit off until a qualified electrician can locate and fix the issue.
While the most common cause of electrical issues is bad wiring, it can also be caused by pests attacking the wires or simply because the wires are old. For that reason, it is best to have an annual pest inspection and an annual electrical inspection. This will help to ensure problems are identified and dealt with before they become an issue. You should also note how old your wiring is. The general consensus is that the outer sheath can last 50-70 years and the copper inner as much as 100 years. If your wiring is reaching that age you are going to need to think about a complete rewire.