Car key replacement can be a costly and stressful experience, especially if you’re not familiar with the costs involved. In this blog, we will provide a cost guide on car key replacement in the UK in 2023. This will help you better understand the costs and options available to you.
The Cost of Replacing a Car Key with a Dealer
One of the most common options for car key replacement is to go through a dealership. This is the most straightforward option. The dealership will have access to your vehicle’s unique code and can create a new key for you. However, this option is also the most expensive. Depending on the make and model of your vehicle, a new key from a dealership can cost anywhere from £100 to £300. Additionally, you’ll likely have to pay for the dealer’s time to program the new key. This can add another £50 to £100 to the cost.
The Cost of Replacing a Car Key with a Local Locksmith
Another option for car key replacement is to go through a local locksmith. This option can be less expensive than going through a dealership, as locksmiths often charge less for their services. However, it’s important to note that not all locksmiths are created equal. Some may charge more for their services than others. On the other hand, some may not have the necessary equipment to make a new key for your specific vehicle. On average, a local locksmith will charge anywhere from £50 to £150 for a new car key, depending on the make and model of your vehicle.
The Cost of Replacing a Car Key with an Online Service
Finally, you can also opt for an online service that specialises in car key replacement Portsmouth. This option can be the most cost-effective, as you can often find keys for a fraction of the cost of going through a dealership or locksmith. However, it’s important to ensure that you’re dealing with a reputable company, as some online services may not provide a quality product or may not be able to program the key properly. On average, an online service will charge anywhere from £20 to £80 for a new car key, depending on the make and model of your vehicle.
How to replace car key by VIN number online in the UK?
Car key replacement can be a hassle, especially if you don’t have a spare key on hand. If you find yourself in this situation, you may be wondering if there’s a way to replace your car key without having to visit a dealership or locksmith. Fortunately, the answer is yes – you can replace your car key by VIN number online in the UK.
The first step in replacing your car key online is to find a reputable car key maker or locksmith. Many companies offer this service, so you’ll want to do your research to find one that has a good reputation and offers competitive prices.
How to choose a car key locksmith for key replacement?
Choosing a car key locksmith to replace your car key can be daunting, especially if you’re unsure what to look for. However, by considering a few key factors, you can ensure that you find a reputable and reliable locksmith who can provide you with the service you need.
Things To Consider
- First and foremost, you’ll want to make sure that the locksmith you choose is licensed, bonded, and insured. This will protect you in case of any accidents or mistakes that may occur during the key replacement process. You can ask the locksmith for their certification and insurance documents, or check their credentials on the internet.
- Next, you’ll want to consider the locksmith’s experience and expertise. A locksmith with years of experience in the field is likely to be more reliable and efficient than a new or inexperienced locksmith. You can ask the locksmith about their experience, or check online reviews to see what other customers have said about their work.
- You’ll also want to consider the locksmith’s availability and response time. If you need a new key quickly, you’ll want to choose a locksmith who can come to you at short notice, or who has a mobile service that can come to your location.
- It’s also important to consider the locksmith’s prices. While you don’t want to choose the cheapest option available, you also don’t want to overpay for the service. It’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple locksmiths and compare their prices to find the best deal.
- Finally, you’ll want to ensure that the locksmith you choose can work on your specific make and model of car. Some locksmiths may specialise in certain types of vehicles. Be sure to check that the locksmith you choose can work on your car before you hire them.
Making The Right Choice
Choosing a car key locksmith for key replacement requires you to consider a few key factors. These include their licenses, experience, availability, response time, prices, and ability to work on your specific make and model of car. You can ask the locksmith for their credentials and insurance documents. Check online reviews, ask for quotes, and make sure they are specialised in working on your car. By considering these factors, you can ensure that you find a reputable and reliable locksmith who can provide you with the service you need.
Replacing A Car Key Online With A Car Key Maker: Steps to Follow
Step 1: Once you’ve found a car key replacement company that you’re comfortable with, you’ll need to provide them with your car’s VIN number. This is a 17-digit code that can be found on your car’s registration documents or the dashboard of your vehicle.
Step 2: The keyless entry remote is the most common type of car key. If your vehicle is equipped with this type of key, the car key maker or locksmith will be able to program a new one for you using the VIN number. This process usually takes a few minutes. Once the new key is programmed, you’ll be able to use it to unlock and start your car.
Step 3: If your car uses a traditional metal key, the locksmith will need to cut a new key for you. It is based on the VIN number. This process may take a bit longer. However, the locksmith will be able to provide you with a new key that will work just like the original.
Step 4: In either case, the process of replacing your car key by VIN number online is quick, easy, and convenient. It eliminates the need to visit a dealership, saving you both time and money. And with the new key, you can get back on the road without delay.
Replacing a car key by VIN number online is a convenient way to get a new key for your vehicle. It eliminates the need to visit a dealership and saves time and money. It is important to find a reputable car key maker or locksmith. You just need to provide them with the VIN number of your vehicle. They will be able to program a new keyless entry remote or cut a new metal key for you.
Car key replacement can be a costly and stressful experience. However, with the right information, you can make the process as smooth and affordable as possible. You can do it by understanding the costs and options available to you. With that, you can make an informed decision on how to replace your car key. Whether you choose to go through a dealership, a local locksmith, or an online service, be sure to shop around and compare prices to get the best deal possible.