Search engine optimization is a complicated beast that is best explained to the not-so tech-savvy people among us through analogy. For example, SEO is often referred to as being “a marathon”, “fitness for your business”, or even a “box of chocolates.” In this article however, we’re going to talk about what SEO and renovating a property has in common.
If you are still a little unclear on SEO or why it is important for businesses, give this article a quick read and you’ll gain a much better understanding…
What SEO and property renovation has in common?
Renovating a property is a complicated, time and resource intensive task. You can’t just rush into the project without giving any thought to it beforehand. You have to:
- Think about who the property is for?
- Why do you want to renovate the property?
- How much work needs to be done?
- What materials will you need?
- Do you need any planning permissions?
- Will you DIY or hire professionals?
- How much time do you think you’ll need to complete the renovations?
- How will you market the property once it has been completed?
The list goes on, but it is very clear that in order to successfully renovate a property with the best results, an awful lot of preparation will go into the job. Here’s how it compares to SEO…
- You need to think about who your target audience is.
- You need to think about why you want to work on your SEO and what your long-term goals are.
- You will need to have a website audit to determine how much work needs to be done in order to get the website ready for on-going offsite SEO activities.
- You will also need to identify what kind of content will best resonate with your audience; what is your marketing message? Which mediums will you use?
- Are you going to handle all of the SEO by yourself or will you outsource your requirements to a third-party agency who specialises in SEO in Singapore?
- You also need to be realistic about time frames; just as a home renovation project can take months and months to complete, SEO typically takes between 4 and 12-months to take off!
- Once you’ve successfully optimised your website for technical and onsite SEO, what kind of link building strategies will you adopt to build credibility in the eyes of Google?
Build it and they will come!
The principle behind renovating property is that once you make all of the appropriate changes, you will invariably make the property far more attractive to prospective buyers. So much so that you can fetch a much higher asking price and the property will practically sell itself! In other words: “build it and they will come”.
The very same principle applies to SEO. You need to refine and perfect your website so that it functions optimally. Think of a website with a beautiful UX design and an intuitive onsite experience like a well-optimised property with a modernised kitchen and a wonderful flow of energy throughout.
Once your website is optimised for maximum performance, and you strategize your on-going offsite efforts, eventually your website will begin to climb the rankings in Google. At which point, you’ll attract far more organic traffic to your website which can ultimately convert into loyal paying customers.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this analogy and now have a much better understanding as to how SEO works and why it is so valuable for modern business owners!