Commonly recommended as IUI treatment, the abbreviated name if the same is Intrauterine insemination. The procedure is identical to normal pregnancy completely except for the mode of entry of sperm into the female body. Normally, the sperm cell is ejaculated by the male genitals into the female body through the vagina. But in iui treatment, the sperm is cultured and washed to turn it into the concentrated form and is placed in the womb (uterus) directly. This procedure enhances the process of fusion of egg and sperm that brightens pregnancy chances. The couples who are unable to conceive at the right time and have frequent miscarriages are referred for the same.
A semen analysis is a lab test that evaluates sperm count, motility, morphology and more. It can be a fertility test in men or confirm that a vasectomy was successful. For accurate results, follow instructions and provide a clean sample. Abnormal results often mean that more testing is necessary.
For whom do doctors recommend IUI?
The couples who are unable to conceive naturally have to adopt artificial procedures for becoming parents. IUI treatment is cost-effective as compared to IVF. Therefore, normally the former is tried as a priority in cases where fallopian tubes are efficient for ovulation. Progressing to IVF is done at a later stage either where IUI fails or fallopian tubes are non-working/damaged or incapable of releasing eggs.
In addition to this IUI can be an expert’s preference in the mentioned conditions:
- Undetectable infertility reasons
- Slight endometriosis
- Inefficient male sperm count/male infertility
- Low /negligible motility of sperm action
- Cervical infections or other related problems
- Ejaculation and erecting issues
- Unisex couples urging for biological kids
- Single female parent
- In case any parent is willing to avoid genetic disability inheritance
With some prior ones being mentioned there might be a lot of other sexual issues among couples that may end up adopting a medical conception technique. But experts strictly don’t recommend the same in case both the fallopian tubes of the patient are damaged or the same has been removed from the body due to some surgeries/illness or even if the same are blocked. Even in the case of complete male infertility, a sperm donor is chosen for the purpose. It is worth remembering that the world does not last in case of IUI failures. Medical experts recommend IVF in such cases.
Expectations as per procedure
Normally IUI is a non-invasive painless procedure but the experience may vary from person to person. Though with physical fitness and health this is attempted along with the natural body cycle itself without any medication but in special cases medications for hormonal support and right time ovulation etc. are added. The procedure also works as per the doctor’s specifications.
You may be asked to:
- Get ultrasounds and other scans were done on specific days of the month.
- To start on with the medicines (if required) from the last cycle days itself.
- Some blood tests might be required.
- Frequent visits to the specialist.
- To get the male partner’s sample cultured and washed and concentrated.
As per the procedure:
- An examination table is provided in the OT for the patient to lie and the doctor attempt to open your cervix using a speculum to examine your cervix on the final day of ovulation.
- The concentrated sperm is then placed into the uterus directly using a long and thin tube.
- After insemination is done you will be asked to stay still for ten to thirty minutes to relax.
As the procedure is done you are allowed to go back and rest at home. Intense movements and carrying heavy weight should be avoided for a few days. Some doctors may even attempt the procedure twice on the same day to enhance the chances of pregnancy.