The primary purpose of having professional carpet cleaning is to make life easier. Isn’t it?
But, there are scenarios in which you have the service done and instead of getting a fresh-looking, well-cleaned carpet, you end up with a bad-smelling mess!
If you happen to be a victim of a similar situation, stay calm! There is no room for panic! This usually happens more often than homeowners care to accept.
Keep reading to find out the main culprit of this funky small!
Where is the funky smell coming from?
To get rid of the funky smell from your carpet, it is very crucial to understand its main origin. Most times, the odour has a weird backstory, however, don’t worry- some cases get resolved very easily. Book carpet cleaning professionals and let them take care of the rest!
Poor quality Carpet Cleaning
There are lots of homeowners who tend to put the price of a service before its quality and the same thing goes for carpet cleaning in Glasgow, too. If you are about to book a cleaning service that is too reasonable, there is a possibility that you end up with poor quality cleaning.
The most common issue seen with cheap carpet cleaning services is that the gear used is not strong enough to extract all the leftover water and leaves the carpet soaking wet. As a result, the carpet still has a strong to mild smell.
The primary reason why carpets smell weirdly even after deep cleaning is the underlay. If a certain part of carpet padding does not expose to air and direct light, then it takes so much time to dry. The excess moisture leads to mould and mildew and these fungi are the main culprit for the funky smell.
It’s not always the underlay’s fault. If the carpet is located in a place with low sunlight and less air movement, then there is a bigger possibility of developing mould and mildew.
Another possible reason for the funky smell is a stubborn stain. Moist homeowners decide to choose professional carpet cleaning just because someone or something stained the floor. The best way to remove the icky stain is to have professional carpet cleaning done.
In such scenarios, the carpet padding is at fault again. If the stain has been soaked by the carpet, then there is a possibility of bad odour if the carpet is not cleaned properly. In the case of pet stains, it is always wise to go for professional carpet cleaning.
Most Generic Reasons For Funky Carpet Smells
- Cigarette smell can penetrate all types of surfaces and fabrics including rugs, carpets and curtains. Therefore, if you smoke inside your home regularly, then possibly you will find a mild smell of it even after professional carpet cleaning.
- If you have pets that are not well trained and often make messes on the carpet, then regular professional carpet cleaning is mandatory. Pet urine is almost a nightmare for homeowners and this is very difficult to remove the entire smell. If the carpet is not regularly cleaned by professionals, then the specific smell gets stuck on the carpet and therefore making it almost impossible to eliminate.
What To Do And Not To Do When Your Carpet Has A Funky Smell
Understanding what to do and what not to do is just as crucial as knowing how to act. Therefore, before we dive into how to get rid of the funky smell, let’s discuss all the best possible methods that sound like a good solution.
- Placing furniture on the stained places. Whenever a kid or pet makes any mess or stain on the carpet, try washing the stain immediately. If you clean the specific place on your own, then be sure you let the carpet dry up properly.
- Stepping on the carpet when it is wet. The foot pressure helps to soak the moisture inside the fabric. Therefore, whenever you are treating your carpet at home, try to diminish the foot traffic to a minimum afterwards.
- Instead of getting in touch with a professional, try to vacuum the moisture out on your own. Always keep in mind that domestic vacuums do not have the strength to absorb all the water from the carpet.
Home Remedies To Remove Carpet Odour.
Method 1- Try With Vinegar
- Make a mixture of lukewarm water and white vinegar. (1:1)
- Use a brush to apply the mixture to the specific problem area
- This solution will not kill the mould or mildew but it helps to remove the odour
- Let the carpet dry completely.
Method 2- Try With Baking Soda
- Sprinkle a certain amount of baking soda on the specific stained area.
- Now leave the area for a while
- Vacuum up all the residue properly
Other Possible Ways To Get Rid Of The Bad Odour
- Spread kitty litter and it should soak up the moisture and the bad odour
- Pour Borax with the help of a brush and scrub the carpet gently.
- Try placing one or more dehumidifiers in the room.
- Use a heater to soak up the humidity in the air and it also boosts the drying process.
These are the best home remedies that you can use to get rid of the nasty carpet smell. If there is no serious issue or damage to the underlay, then you will be able to remove the bad smell from your carpet!
When it comes to carpet cleaning, the first and foremost thing you should look out for is the quality of the service provider and the kind of equipment they’re using to clean your carpet. Second in line is the kind of chemicals they use to clean your carpet! If you choose a low-quality substance, that’s obviously going to leave behind an undesirable smell which will remain on your carpets even after a couple of days! With the tips we shared above, you’ll have no problem keeping your rugs clean and fresh. And all without jeopardizing your daily schedule, or making you fall behind on what’s important to you.